wg-multicast - Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: David Devereaux-Weber <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Tracking Viewers on IP Multicast Video
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:55:25 -0500

Aha. Yes, you discovered this feature of multicast:-) Depending on your viewing application, it can be set up to explicitly send back tracking information. One example of this is many RTP clients send RTCP reports back which primarily indicate how well the stream is being received for performance management purposes. There's also the whole area of rights management, encryption, etc. of pay-per-view and the like which I would like to learn more about from someone and can certainly be envisioned as a tracking mechanism. Anyone?
/a

David Devereaux-Weber wrote:
So, we've invented this wonderfully scaleable way to support almost unlimited viewers...how can we count them? Are there tools for tracking multicast viewers?

Dave