shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:51:58 +0200

* Chad La Joie
<>
[2010-08-25 21:24]:
> Well, I think the problem is that there is quite a large SAML 1 only
> install base right now and a lot of them aren't show much sign of
> moving. We still know there are a significant number of folks running
> Shib 1.3 and many of the other opensource IdPs are are SAML 1 only.

I would have expected most IdPs to be moved to SAML2, say, within a
year (with the EOL of the Shib 1.x line) and only SPs staying on SAML1
a while longer (content providers, etc.)?

And out of curiosity, what are "many of the other opensource IdPs"?
I didn't even know there where many other opensource IdPs? :)
Even the more obscure ones (zxid?) seem to be SAML2 capable?

If the aim for this Java SP is to gain a maximum share of the SAML SP
"market" in the Java world, including support for SAML1 probably won't
hurt.
Personally I'd rather conceal there ever was something like SAML1.
-peter