shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:30:36 +0100

> Any updates on this?

The embedded WAYF feature was introduced in the 1.8 version of the
SWITCH PHP WAYF. In SWITCHaai the feature has been available for a month
and so far we haven't heard of any problems. However, it is too early to
make a statement about complications/usability problems because only few
smaller sites have been using this feature.

> As much as I want to believe that I'm just mistaken about the issues with
> cookies and frames

The embedded wayf code doesn't use frames and although I did suspect
this would cause problems in IE, it apparently does not. I tested it in
IE 7 (Medium Security), that has an IFRAME which loads another page from
the same server that contains the embedded WAYF. This will display the
right entry that only will be displayed if the cookie also is being sent
to the central WAYF that generates the .js file that is loaded.
I also tested this on another host in a different domain and this also
seems to work.

Best Regards
Lukas

--