shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:59:53 -0500

> The embedded wayf code doesn't use frames and although I did suspect
> this would cause problems in IE, it apparently does not.

I would assume there are overlaps between the way frames work and the way
Javascript loaded from another domain would work, but perhaps not.

> I tested it in
> IE 7 (Medium Security), that has an IFRAME which loads another page from
> the same server that contains the embedded WAYF. This will display the
> right entry that only will be displayed if the cookie also is being sent
> to the central WAYF that generates the .js file that is loaded.
> I also tested this on another host in a different domain and this also
> seems to work.

If you mean Medium privacy, that level blocks third-party cookies under a
variety of circumstances. It's hard to see how you could get around that if
you're dealing with a second domain.