shibboleth-dev - RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

  • From: Philip Brusten <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:10:18 +0000

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 12:48 -0400, Scott Cantor wrote:
> > > The servers are behind a loadbalancer, each of these servers handle
> > > about 20k unique users a day.
>
> BTW, one thing that strikes me about that number and the memory usage you
> reported is that it doesn't add up for me if you're really using my Xerces
> memory patch.

We used the RPMs provided at shibboleth.internet.edu, extract from our
documentation:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
wget
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/SRPMS/xerces261-c-2.6.1-3.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/xerces*
rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/xerces*

> 2G of RAM split among 20,000 sessions comes out to 100k per session. That's
> way too high. That sounds much more like you're using a vanilla Xerces,
> anything prior to 2.8.0 anyway. That would cost you at least 64k per DOM
> tree right off the top, which is why it was so bad to use.
>
> So I'd start by double checking that. It doesn't fix a leak to use less RAM,
> but it certainly buys you more time.
>
> Since my intent is to go to 2.8.0 anyway, which will be a little less
> efficient than my current patch, that would probably be the best thing to
> try just to see what it does.

We've compiled 2.8.0 but it's not yet on a machine with many logins, the
memory usage though, has decreased significantly.
But we will try this library also on a machine that handles more logins
to see what the effect is. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Philip