shibboleth-dev - Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:37:43 +0100

Aha! So I'm not the only one.

Could you elaborate on the library versions, distribution version, etc?

Thanks,
André

On 2007/10/10, at 11:04, Philip Brusten wrote:

Scott Cantor wrote:
Barring any unforeseen bugs I didn't catch, this is the new XML platform for
Shibboleth 2.0 and the 1.3.1 update. I would encourage any future deployers
building from source to use this version. I will have RPMs for it, but I
can't really get all the older Shibboleth packages rebuilt with it yet, so
that will wait a bit. We'll get an SRPM up at least so people could rebuild
against it.

Any downstream packagers should build on this release going forward.

I also believe we've fixed the RPM collision that caused Ian and I to work
on the version specific packaging. The actual RPM should co- habitate with
any alternate Xerces RPM, only the -devel package should conflict now. I'll
undo all that xercesver logic in my packages eventually.

Memory-wise, this release allocates about 16k per document (and therefore
about 16k minimum per cached SAML response per session). My private copies
were 8k, but this should be workable for now. (Vanilla 2.7.0 was 64k per
document.)

Will this solve the exponential memory usage on Linux platforms? We have several webservers that are now using over 1GB of memory. We are forced to
restart the shibboleth daemon every once in a while.
Will these 16k be released after an expiration of some kind?

Philip