shibboleth-dev - RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:48:30 -0400

> > The servers are behind a loadbalancer, each of these servers handle
> > about 20k unique users a day.

BTW, one thing that strikes me about that number and the memory usage you
reported is that it doesn't add up for me if you're really using my Xerces
memory patch.

2G of RAM split among 20,000 sessions comes out to 100k per session. That's
way too high. That sounds much more like you're using a vanilla Xerces,
anything prior to 2.8.0 anyway. That would cost you at least 64k per DOM
tree right off the top, which is why it was so bad to use.

So I'd start by double checking that. It doesn't fix a leak to use less RAM,
but it certainly buys you more time.

Since my intent is to go to 2.8.0 anyway, which will be a little less
efficient than my current patch, that would probably be the best thing to
try just to see what it does.