shibboleth-dev - RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

  • From: Philip Brusten <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:14:52 +0200

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:34 -0400, Scott Cantor wrote:
> > We've several shibboleth-sp machines under high load.
>
> Could you define high load? I've yet to find anything significantly higher
> than some we have on Windows that just don't appear to leak. Ergo, I think
> this is a Linux (or Unix) issue or an issue in a dependency on Linux,
> neither of which I can fix.

The servers are behind a loadbalancer, each of these servers handle
about 20k unique users a day.
I've included two graphs (Load Average and Memory Usage) from one of
these application servers. The shibd process is being restarted 2 times
a day, at 12u15 and 03u15.
Today, for example, the daemon was restarted at 12u15 and the memory
usage has reached 2,3GB.

> Also, what's your cacheTimeout set to (assuming this is just standard
> in-memory caching)? Does your transaction log show expired sessions being
> purged?

We use the default memory session cache. The cacheTimeout is reduced to
600 seconds.

Are you planning to make SRPMS for the new Xerces library?

Kind regards,

Philip