shibboleth-dev - RE: FW: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: FW: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: FW: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 released
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:14:40 -0400

> > Will this solve the exponential memory usage on Linux platforms? We have
> > several webservers that are now using over 1GB of memory. We are forced
> > to restart the shibboleth daemon every once in a while. Will these 16k
> > be released after an expiration of some kind?
>
> Yes, this is fixed in Xerces-C++ 2.8.0.

That would be nice, but is that true? I don't know of any growth issues from
Xerces, just "too much memory per document". If you free the document, which
the cache does, it should free the memory. But whether it goes back to the
OS is a runtime lib issue, obviously.

As I said originally, unless something's changed, the Windows build does not
grow like this under plenty of load here. So if that's true (I'm checking on
that), I can't see how I could have a leak, and I don't know what to tell
people here.