shibboleth-dev - RE: Shib 1.3 configuration

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Shib 1.3 configuration

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Tom Scavo'" <>
  • Cc: "'Shibboleth Development'" <>
  • Subject: RE: Shib 1.3 configuration
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:19:20 -0400

> Why? Because we want to do some interop testing across two
> domains and the previous config doesn't work for that. I
> need to supply config files and metadata files to each of the
> two domains prior to testing.

Since each hostname is unique, and doing cross-host cookies is a pretty
unusual case, I'm still not sure what the point is, but ok.

> That's exactly what I'm referring to. The natural
> progression seems to go from bilateral agreements to
> federated trust. If you give me an out-of-the-box
> configuration with two *separate* entities, I can run this
> configuration on a single host (my laptop) and later with minor
> (obvious) modifications reconfigure it for two real security domains.
> Making the jump to InQueue after that should be relatively easy.

Agreed. The old sample used to combine one host in both roles and that's
gone regardless. But I agree that the InQueue parts should be an appendage
on top of the base, not the default. I believe the SP reflects this, and has
since 1.2.

For practical reasons, we simply MUST include it out of the box. Almost
nobody tests both ends. That's simply a fact. They want to run one half and
test against ours.

> If, on the other hand, you give me an out-of-the-box config
> with two entities in a single domain sharing a single
> metadata file, I have to work harder (conceptually) to
> generalize that to a real-world scenario.

I don't understand how seeing only half the picture is better, but ok.