perfsonar-user - Re: [pS-dev] HELL and VMWare

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [pS-dev] HELL and VMWare

  • From: Frederic LOUI <>
  • To: Cesaroni Giovanni <>
  • Cc: , Ben Perry <>, Roman Lapacz <>, Nicolas Simar <>, WiN-Labor <>, "" <>, , ,
  • Subject: Re: [pS-dev] HELL and VMWare
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:07:19 +0200

Cesaroni Giovanni a écrit :
Hi Frederic,
I prefer Debian,
the ftp server is ftp://193.206.158.119:2121
It is an image from ESX or WS?

Cheers,
Giovanni

Frederic LOUI wrote:
Cesaroni Giovanni a écrit :
Hi,
I would like to test the VMWARE image of RRD-MA.

Cheers,
Giovanni

Frederic LOUI wrote:
Ben,

I fully agree you upon all the points you quoted below...
and I truly believe that's a good alternative to deploy and test PerfSONAR services...

But I also understand that for "power user" this is an overpowering solution.
Anyway, this is a matter of choice.

My opinion is that packaging PerfSONAR si the right way to go in the long run.
It is also the academic choice. (deb,rpm, pkg for SOLARIS and BSD etc.)

However, using VMWare image/Live CD is a quick way to "spread" PerfSONAR philosophy
at the moment and demonstrate its MULTI-DOMAIN capability at a great pace.

Of course NREN(s) skilled enough (and having enough time) to install PerfSONAR
At the end everything is possible, but it is always a matter of time.
The learning curve regarding PerfSONAR installation is not huge,
but it really depends on your skills and could take some times...

At the present time, the point is to save "this time" and demonstrate that PerfSONAR is not a "white elephant"
And a lot of feature can be easily accessed behind the PerfSONAR platform.

I'm preparing VMWARE image of RRD-MA would you be intersted in testing one ?
If so, please just select you flavor (FreeBSD,DEBIAN stable, any flavor of UBUNTU etc.)
And an ftp address and I can provide you one.

Bgrds/Frederic

Ben Perry a écrit :
The benefit of using a VM is absolutely huge. Someone who knows what
they're doing does all of the administration work, configures all of
the services, and makes sure everything works flawlessly. All
accounts are created, all libraries are up to date, everything is
already compiled and executing.

The end user then only has to download a single file. One file. They
load it in the free virtual player, and everything works. They don't
spend countless hours compiling, downloading different libraries,
googling for why something doesn't work, asking their colleagues for
help, getting frustrated, and losing interest. They don't have to
download a linux distro hand hope that it works on their hardware, let
alone with PerfSonar. They don't have to read through page after page
of installation manuals. They don't need to know about yum, apt, etc.

It doesn't get any easier for an end user than downloading a single
file and clicking play.

On 5/31/07, Roman Lapacz
Nicolas Simar wrote:

> Cesaroni Giovanni wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> What are the drawbacks of such methods?
>>> Could it be a way of providing easy to install perfsonar
>>> web-services or it will decrease their performances?
>>
>> The use of VMW has no particular drawbacks other than what Jochen said,
>> but I don't think it is a good solution:
>> all the sw is usually installed on a linux box by the package manager
>> of the system (for debian apt-get, for red hat yum and so on) from a
>> pakage (.deb, .rpm, ..) with just a command. It will be nice to have
>> such a linux package of each perfsonar service.
>
> What is the difference with ANT currently used?

Ant is a build tool mainly for developers. I like all solutions noted
(VM, pS linux distro, package systems). I remember that some time ago
Jeff proposed to use RPM to distribute our services. We could consider
to take package solution (usually well-known) for next pS release (we
could start with rpm and deb).

Roman

Which flavour are you interested in ?
DEBIAN one ? FreeBSD one ? Ubuntu (Feisty/Edgy/Dapper)?

Could you please provide me an ftp URL with at least 500 Meg free space ?

Thanks
Bgrds/Frederic

Hi Giovanni,

I uploaded the VM images on your FTP servers.
You can close your anonymous FTP anytime you want...

Basically the image is a debian 4.0, with THE STRICT MINIMUM SOFTWARE installed required to run RRD-MA.

Default user:
login: perfsonar
Default password: perfsonar

Default eXist RRD-MA user: rrdmaservice
Default eXist RRD-MA password: rrdmaservice
Default eXist ADMINB password: rrdmaservice

PerfSONAR RRD-MA is launched during system startup whith perfsonar user UNIX access rights. (check /etc/rc.local)
So you STRICTLY have nothing to do... Except ...
==> To insert your META-DATA file using URL http://<IP_ADDRESS_OF_VM>:8080/exist/admin/admin.xql

Import your RRD files through NFS. (/etc/fstab) and you're done
Don't forget to change the default password as well for root/perfsonar/eXist etc.

In term of stitching, I think that Alessandro and Mario are PerfSONAR installation expert now ! ;-)

Thanks and best regards/Frederic

PS: It would be great to have your feedback about this VM.
The point is to roughly evaluate how much time you spent on deploying this RRD-MA service and how painful it was ... ;-)

--
Frederic LOUI / GIP RENATER

Service de Suivi Operationnel / Metrologie & QoS
Network Operations Service / Metrology & QoS

Tel: +33 1 53 94 20 82 / Fax: +33 1 53 94 20 31
http://www.renater.fr