perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 2.0 RRD-MA installation

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 2.0 RRD-MA installation

  • From: Jerome Durand <>
  • To: Nina Jeliazkova <>
  • Cc: , Loukik Kudarimoti <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] PerfSONAR 2.0 RRD-MA installation
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:25:02 +0200

After considering again the issue you're facing, I realized that my suggestion
missed some important details. In fact perfSONAR-2.0 services are supported
currently only by the latest JWS version of perfsonarUI-v0.10, available here:

http://perfsonar.acad.bg/perfsonar.jnlp

Hi all,

I'm not sure that this is the best approach we have today, as we have to know wich version of product X is able to speak with product Y. I believe for each version of products X and Y, a protocol version should be mentionned and we would afterward make sure the same protocol version number appear in both products. I believe that this makes more sense for people that will have to install the products.

I think we already had that discussion in the past, and I don't remember we never managed to get a consensus, did we? :)

Cheers,

Jerome

We've included a line for your RENATER-test service in the MA.conf, used by
this version of perfsonarUI. The service is not enabled by default, but you
could give it a try however and see if this resolves the issue.

I suppose you've used the last offline distribution of perfsonarUI-v0.09 in
your tests up to now and this is at least one of the reasons why you didn't
get any results. Please note that there might be other unresolved issues as
well...

We hope to have a stable perfsonarUI-v0.10 release quite soon. Until then,
users of perfSONAR-2.0 services should only try the latest JWS version, which
already includes support for these services, as illustrated by the
interactions with the GEANT2 RRD MA service.

Kind regards,
Nina

Frederic LOUI

Nina,

Thank you for your suggestion. However this did not solve the issue...

Any other idea ?

In addition, is there a way to check that the system work as expected ? (Additonal log, increase log level etc...)
The thing is that I can't see any error in the log file... So it is difficiult to locate the issue ...

Thanks again
Bgrds/Frederic

Nina Jeliazkova a écrit :
Frederic,

Just a wild guess - please ensure that the new row for your service in
perfsonarUI's MA.conf is as follows (note the parameters after the service
URL):

YOURSERVICE,http://193.49.159.135:8080/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/services/MeasurementArchiveService,http://schemas.perfsonar.net/2.0,"",http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/characteristic/utilization/2.0,http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/characteristic/utilization/2.0
Best regards,
Nina

Frederic LOUI

Hi Loukik,

I just installed RRD-MA with PerfSONAR 2.0 bundle. And the installation went fine.
Basically, instead of using the native tomcat installation (from Ubuntu repository), I just ask the script to download and install tomcat.

I addition, Step 1) to Step 4) conditions are OK. Even after a reboot... ;-)

However, I got now a new issue when trying to see the link utilisation using PerfSONARUI...

Here are the details:
1- I configured MA.conf in PerfSONARUI to point to
http://193.49.159.135:8080/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/services/MeasurementArchiveService
2- In perfsonar/conf folder, I configured service.properties file:
service.ma.conf_file=/home/perfsonar/perfsonar-bundle-2.0-RC1/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/perfsonar/conf/rrd-database_RENATER.xml
3- But from PerfSONARUI, I just select my freshly deployed endpoint and when I click on the "Retrieve all" button, nothing happens...
(The only clue I got, is that "DATA retrieved" but nothing is exported from the RRD-MA)
4- The PerfSONARUI is able to reach the RRD-MA. (I can see an opened
socket)
ex: ===> tcp6 0 0 perfsonar:8080 oujda.renater.fr:3196 TIME_WAIT
5- Each time I click on "Retrieve all" button, I can see the following message in perfsonar_debug.log

2007-04-06 14:59:03,314 DEBUG - RequestHandler: Calling on parser to parse the request
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - RequestHandler: Message object constructed from request. Request is of type: MetadataKeyRequest
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - MessageHandlerFactory: classname asked for is org.perfsonar.commons.messages.MetadataKeyRequest
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - ExistDbFactory: Creating XML RPC Data Repository: (xmldb:exist://127.0.0.1:8080/exist/xmlrpc/db/rrdmaconfig, rrdmaservice, rrdmaservice)
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - XmlDbDataRepository: created
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - ExistDbFactory: Creating XML RPC Storage Manager
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - ExistDbXmlrpcXmlStorageManager: initStorage with data repository
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - MetadataKeyRequest: MessageHandler
created
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - RequestHandler: Calling on MessageHandler [class org.perfsonar.commons.messages.MetadataKeyRequest] to satisfy request
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - Request: MessageHandler.execute()
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - Request.execute: run Service Engine for extracted request
2007-04-06 14:59:03,329 DEBUG - RRDTypeMAServiceEngine.takeAction: Received a request of type - GET_KEY

6- Note that I dont have this issue with python RRD-MA version.
The RRD META DATA file is well interpreted and PerfSONARUI is able to retrieve link utilization.

Any idea upon that issue ?
Do I miss something ?

From my understanding, the file "service.properties" should be tailored after the installation. Does my service.properties file is OK ?
In addition, I can see that we have 2 methods so as to get RRD data: one is xmlrpc the other one is http (in service.properties).
Is there a direct relationship between the method used (xmlrpc or http) and the current issue ?

Again, thanks in adavcen for your help.
Bgrds/Frederic

Loukik Kudarimoti a écrit :
Frederic,

Deploy your service, test and then restart tomcat. As soon as you restart, go over these steps *in order* to check where it misbehaves.

1) Check tomcat --- http://193.49.159.135:8180
-- tomcat happiness page should display

2) Check service files --- http://193.49.159.135:8180/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0
-- Apache axis home page should display

3) Check list of services deployed --- http://193.49.159.135:8180/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/servlet/AxisServlet
you should be able to see the Measurement Archive Service (along with Admin Service and version)

4) Check deployment ---
http://193.49.159.135:8180/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/services/MeasurementArchiveService
you should be able to see some text saying..hi there this is an axis service

Please let us know at which step it fails...

Loukik.

Frederic LOUI wrote:
Loukik Kudarimoti a écrit :
Frederic,

You only have to deploy once. No matter how many times you restart tomcat, your deployment will still be in place.

It is just what I thought ! But the only way top overcome this issue is to deploy ...
Anyway, I'll restart tomcat right now.
Could you try to restart tomcat once more and see if you can still access the URL? The URL that you have provided below is local (internal address range). Is there a public URL which I can access?
Public URL should be
http://193.49.159.135:8180/perfSONAR-RRD-MA-2.0/services/MeasurementArchiveService
I'm not sure whether you can reach this URL from this outside.

Please let me know
Bgrds/Fred
Loukik.

Jerome Durand

Responsable du service de suivi opérationnel
Network operations manager

Réseau National de Télécommunications
pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

Tel: +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 30 | GIP RENATER
Fax: +33 (0) 1 53 94 20 31 | c/o ENSAM
E-mail:

http://www.renater.fr | 75013 PARIS