ndt-users - Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?

  • From: Matt Mathis <>
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc: NDT users <>, John Heffner <>
  • Subject: Re: Opinion poll time, what SDK should NDT recommend?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:29:41 -0400 (EDT)

Just to complicate the issue: John just re-tested npad w/ -source 1.3, and it
seemes to work fine with IPv6.

He points out that using -source 1.3 just causes your current java environment
to use the 1.3 subset of the byte codes. It does not change which runtime you
select so IPv6 works iff your runtime works. (So if you want to use IPv6,
you may need 1.4.2, even if NPAD or NDT doesn't need it).

Given that neither NDT nor NPAD are using any 1.4 features, I still don't
understand what problem we are solving.

Perhaps there is another issue here: NPAD's threhold for a minimally
competent user is much lower than NDT's. "You need to upgrade your OS" is one
of things that NPAD sometimes advises. Loosing %2 of the audience isn't
forward progress. If there is a case were 1.4 works better than 1.3 we will
consider it. (I also note that the "bytecode subset" issue means that we
don't have to pick the same version).

Thanks,
--MM--
Matt Mathis http://www.psc.edu/~mathis
Work:412.268.3319 Home/Cell:412.654.7529
Evil is defined by mortals who think they know
"The Truth" and use force to apply it to others.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Richard Carlson wrote:

> Hi Peter;
>
> In-line;
>
> At 04:40 PM 8/24/2006, Peter Van Epp wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:38:12AM -0400, Richard Carlson wrote:
> > > All;
> > >
> > > By now you have all seen the email exchange between Peter Van Epp and
> > > me. I would like some feedback from this user community before
> > deciding on
> > > a final solution to the bug Peter reported.
> > >
> > > Internet2 is now supplying an Knoppix based Live-CD with a pre-installed
> > > NDT server. I built this server using the Java 1.4.2 SDK.
As Peter