ndt-users - Re: NDT 3.3.12 - MSS weirdness

Subject: ndt-users list created

Re: NDT 3.3.12 - MSS weirdness

  • From: Jeremian <>
  • To: Simon Leinen <>
  • Cc: Richard Carlson <>,
  • Subject: Re: NDT 3.3.12 - MSS weirdness
  • Date: 24 Aug 2006 20:44:41 +0200

Hi.

> Thanks Jakub and Richard, for the new NDT version.
> It looks great so far. IPv6 support is particularily welcome!
>
> With previous versions, it was relatively easy to get the
> command-line client (web100clt) running on non-Linux systems such as
> Solaris. Unfortunately this seems to have become a little more
> difficult. I'll send a patch in a separate message.
>
> Anyway, I got the client working now, and it seems to work fine over
> IPv6, against a freshly installed NDT 3.3.12 server on a Linux
> 2.6.17+Web100 box:

[...]

> I'm sure there are no MSS-rewriting middleboxes between the two
> hosts, and MSS=16376 seems a bit on the high side - the Ethernet on
> the client (Sun) has 1500 byte MTUs, and the interfaces on the
> server have 9000 byte MTUs. But the Linux NDT server logs
>
> Sending 16364 Byte packets over the network
> libweb100: warning: accessing depricated variable AckPktsIn
> libweb100: warning: accessing depricated variable AckPktsOut
> Sending 16364 Byte packets over the network
>
> This must have been derived from the lo (Loopback) interface, which
> has an MTU of 16436 bytes:
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:3564404 (3.3 MiB) TX bytes:3564404 (3.3 MiB)

This is a bug in the Web100 library. Please look at
http://trinity.web100.org/pipermail/discussion/2006-07/msg00008.html

Unfortunately they haven't released the fixed version yet. However,
the needed patch is very small and easy to apply.

> And I still have an issue using the client over IPv4.
>
> :
> leinen@diotima[src];
> ./web100clt -4 -n lsmp2
> Testing network path for configuration and performance problems
> -- Using IPv4 address
> Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Protocol error!
> :
> 1leinen@diotima[src];
>
> I'll dig further into this. I already checked that I can telnet to
> the IPv4 address of "lsmp2".

Can you provide the server's output with the higher debug level (7)?

> Anyway, who uses IPv4 anymore?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Simon.