mace-opensaml-users - [OpenSAML] log4shib + LocalSyslogAppender

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

[OpenSAML] log4shib + LocalSyslogAppender

  • From: Chris Card <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [OpenSAML] log4shib + LocalSyslogAppender
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:06:43 +0000

[Apologies if this is the wrong list]

I'm trying to get logging to syslog working from my OpenSAML code, using the log4shib facilities.
I can get logging to the console and logging to a file working ok, but I can't seem to get the same output
going to syslog.

Here's my config:

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, syslog

# fairly verbose for DEBUG, so generally leave at INFO
log4j.category.XMLTooling.XMLObject=DEBUG
log4j.category.XMLTooling.KeyInfoResolver=DEBUG
log4j.category.Shibboleth.PropertySet=DEBUG

# raise for low-level tracing of SOAP client HTTP/SSL behavior
log4j.category.XMLTooling.libcurl=INFO

# useful categories to tune independently:
#
# tracing of SAML messages and security policies
log4j.category.OpenSAML.MessageDecoder=DEBUG
log4j.category.OpenSAML.MessageEncoder=DEBUG

# define the appender

log4j.appender.syslog=org.apache.log4j.LocalSyslogAppender
log4j.appender.syslog.syslogName=SAML2
log4j.appender.syslog.facility=21

As far as I can see, facility=21 should correspond to local5, and in my syslog.conf I have

local5.*                            -/var/log/mylogfile

Any ideas?

Chris