mace-opensaml-users - Re: Deploying opensaml 2.0 in Jboss 4.2.0

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Deploying opensaml 2.0 in Jboss 4.2.0

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Deploying opensaml 2.0 in Jboss 4.2.0
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:33:24 +0100

So, what you need for OpenSAML is a functional JAXP 1.3 implementation. How you get is a matter of a number of variables, but Sun's JVM definitely doesn't come with one. The only JAXP impls we (the development team has tested, or knows about, is Xerces/Xalan).

Some options are:
- Place the Xerces/Xalan in the JVM endorsement directory. This is fine except when your container goes in and purposely changes the directory that the JVM looks in into one that doesn't contain anything (this is what Apache Tomcat does).

- Endorse Xerces/Xalan in some container specific manner. This requires you to actually know how your container works.

- Use the JVM services mechanism + a new version of Xerces/Xalan that can take advantage of that mechanism. This works well for standalone applications but not for containers (learn about classloading, the JVM service mechanism, and your container if you want to know why).

In the case of JBoss, it already comes with these libraries endorsed, as you noted, so you shouldn't have to do anything.

Singh, Manish wrote:
Only way I could get the Jboss 4.2.0 to work along with being able to
use OpenSAML 2.0 is to not
Add these jars (which is supposed to go under endorsed dir) at all,
which comes with openSAML under endorsed dir.

xalan-2.7.1.jar
xerces-2.9.1-xercesImpl.jar

I added the other 2 to Jboss endorsed dir though.

By this configuration Jboss works fine and I am able to use OpenSAML as
SP in configuration that is need for my short term requirements.

Having said that, I do see this warning in logs.
I would like to know what would be the affect of this and what is the
functionality that I won't be able to utilize?

Has anyone dealt with this issue in Jboss 4.2.0 and have a better
solution?

Thanks,
Manish Singh

11:38:04,649 WARN [Init] Exception while installing Function
java.lang.NoSuchMethodException:
org.apache.xpath.compiler.FunctionTable.install
Function(java.lang.String, org.apache.xpath.Expression)
at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1581)
at org.apache.xml.security.Init.registerHereFunction(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xml.security.Init.init(Unknown Source)
at
org.opensaml.DefaultBootstrap.initializeXMLSecurity(DefaultBootstrap.
java:97)
at
org.opensaml.DefaultBootstrap.bootstrap(DefaultBootstrap.java:71)
at
com.citistreet.id.sso.security.saml.opensaml.OpenSAMLProcessor_2_0.<i
nit>(OpenSAMLProcessor_2_0.java:80)
Method)

at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstruct
orAccessorImpl.java:39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC
onstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at
java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
at
citistreet.id.util.factory.MatchingReflectionConstructor.construct(Ma
tchingReflectionConstructor.java:62)

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities