mace-opensaml-users - Re: Signing a SAML token

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: Signing a SAML token

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Signing a SAML token
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:27:57 -0400

Indeed not only requires, but may only have a single Reference, to the Assertion element. So no, it can't cover anything but that.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the signature on the SAML Assertion token (from the Assertion issuer) with another separate Signature that is part of the WS-S Security header, and covers whatever you want it to cover?

Chad La Joie wrote:
SAML only requires that the assertion signature cover the assertion itself.

Benjamin Coiffe wrote:
Hi all,

I have read the specs but can't really figure out something. Does the
signature of a SAML token, with confirmation method set to
sender-vouches, needs to reference both the assertion and the binary
security token?

I ask this cause WebLogic 9.2 seems to require it and I don't understand
why?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Benjamin Coiffe