isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn

  • From: "Ben Teitelbaum" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:46:30 -0800

ISN, as originally conceived, was to be an interim solution on the road to a glorious future of fully alphanumeric SIP URIs (where "interim" might be a decade or two).

Here's a nutty idea: make it possible to derive an ISN from a known email address.

How would this work?

  1) Add a number format TXT record (as suggested below) for each ITAD;

  2) Agree on a hash-based numbering convention (e.g. user "bob" would have a local number that's the first 5 digits of the base-10 SHA1 of "bob");

  3) Add an ITAD TXT record for each domain.

Given an email address (e.g. ""), an ISN for Bob could be derived like this (Perl-esque pseudo code follows):

  1) $itad = `dig +short TXT itad.info.foo.com.`;

  2) $prefix = `dig +short TXT o.$itad.info.freenum.org.`;

  3) $isn = substr(hex2decimal(sha1("bob")), 0, $prefix) . '*' . $itad;

 It would then be possible to write a number of email->ISN resolvers--on web pages, integrated in devices, etc.

What do folks think?  Does this make sense?  Would it be useful?  Anyone interested in trying it out?

-- ben