isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn

  • From: "Peter Grace" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] Re: Interesting uses for isn
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:37:39 -0500

The dial zero thing is actually an incredibly good idea.  I think I'll implement that on my ITAD as well!

Pete

On Nov 29, 2007 4:01 PM, John R Covert <> wrote:
Well, of course it was intended for inter- not just intra-company
communications, including international.

And I agree that making it useful has been a bit of a problem.
We have people whose gateways not yet fully installed or are very
experimental and thus not very reliable.  We also have the problem
that it's not clear what format to dial for the extension -- do you
dial 3, 4, 5 digits for an extension, or the full local or national
or even international number?  No standards exist, and maybe they
shouldn't be required.

I'd propose two things:
1. a standard TXT entry in each ITAD's freenum.org entry which
  points to a web directory of some sort giving information.
2. the standard that the "0" extension always gets you to some
  sort of informational message about what to dial, or to an
  IVR of some sort, or to a human attendant.

#2 is already the case at my ITAD, at MIT's, at NPR's, at Octothorp,
and probably at many others.

But of course, there's no way to enforce any such thing.

/john