isn-discuss - Re: Interesting uses for isn

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: Interesting uses for isn

  • From: (John R Covert)
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Interesting uses for isn
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:06:09 -0500 (EST)

Let's get the directory url that's currently on the administrators' pages
into DNS; I suggest directory.<itad>.info.freenum.org.

This would be an HTML directory, organized in whatever manner the ITAD
owner wants.

Let's add another URL to the administrators' pages, and call it
directorysearch.<itad>.info.freenum.org.

It would be a cgi, accepting either post or get, and would be able to
search by a standard set of fields. For example, if I put the following
url into my admin page as the directorysearch URL: cgi.covert.org/itad-288

Then searches could be done as follows:

http://cgi.covert.org/itad-288?ln=covert&fn=john
or

http://cgi.covert.org/itad-288?

and so on. We just need to define a standard set of search keys.

The directory.<itad>.info.freenum.org page might have a window that
provides an interface to the directorysearch.<itad>.info.freenum.org
page (or any other search mechanism), but if the directorysearch URL
is provided, it would behave according to our standards.

/john