grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Tom Barton <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:39:36 -0400

> No! That was a slip of the mind... what I meant to say is WS. I am
> going to
> write the GUI in PHP.

Hmmm, Im not sure if this will be available in 1.5 in WS... can you wait for
1.5.1 a month or two later? Maybe use the API in the meantime?

Would the only services you need be:

1. Assign an attribute value to an object (e.g. group)

2. Query groups which have certain attribute values

> I really don't get what you mean by this. What I envision is this: I
> would
> define a new grouptype in grouper with a new attribute called "label".
> This
> attribute would be a multi-valued string and be filled with 0 or
> multiple pre-
> set values (pre-set by the GUI) or maybe even free to choose values by
> end-
> users.

Well, what I mean is the attribute framework will have a given type for an
attribute. The ideal type is a "marker" type, where all values are
registered in the grouper registry. So if a user wanted to free form write
one in, then your UI would have to register that value as acceptable with the
grouper registry before assigning. Otherwise, if you wanted to mix and match
(preset values, and freeform), then maybe you could use two different
attributes on groups, one free form, and one list of values.