grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>, Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Grouper 1.5 planning
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:07:14 -0400

Hey,

I want to make sure all of your requirements are covered in 1.5.

1. You will use the API and not WS, right? Any UI requirements?

2. Will you setup all the values as attributeValue objects in grouper (so you
could have a pick list), or will it be a multi-valued freeform field? I
recommend setting up the values if it will work for you. If there are too
many values, or too hard to manage, or other reason, then free-form.

3. Then you would like to find all groups that have a certain value in the
multi-valued attribute, right?

You know Grouper groups can handle hierarchies, right? So if a person is in
a department, and that department group is it in a school, then the person is
in the school, right? We have an 8 level org chart with 2000 groups managed
by the loader, and it works well.

> Actually, it's really like comparing conventional mail folders and
> gmail's
> labeling solution. We have a strong feeling that labels would help a
> lot in
> this specific setup of Grouper.

The label is going on a group, and not a person, right? In grouper a group
could have many parents (e.g. be in many other groups), which might be
different than folders. I might not use stems for what identifies a group
membership hierarchy, I would use groups inside of other groups.

I think this is a good use for attributes, but just asking some questions. :)

Thanks!