grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Fetching Stems with Umlauts

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Fetching Stems with Umlauts

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Mirko Tasler <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Fetching Stems with Umlauts
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:02:12 -0400

Sorry for the late reply.

First of all, do you have a grouper client build after march 31st?

Second, I cant make this work on my computer, maybe my locale is wrong. I
cant even print out an umlaut if I tried. Actually, the client works fine in
eclipse, it prints it out fine. So try the latest 1.4 branch. Let me ask
you a question (or anyone).

I have a sample test java program to print out an umlaut: Test.java

public class Test {
System.out.println("ä");
}
}

When I run this in eclipse, it works fine.
When I run this in windows CMD, I get this (prints a sigma):

C:\mchyzer\isc\dev\grouper_v1_4\grouperClient\build\eclipseBin>java Test

When I run in linux, I get this (couple of "a" looking chars):

[mchyzer@flash
pennGroupsClient-1.4.3]$ java Test

If someone can help me set my locale or whatever to make this program work (I
have already tried to do certain things to no avail), then I can help.
Otherwise, I hope the latest 1.4 branch works... :) btw, also make sure this
is set in the grouper.client.properties (or tweak it to whatever you want it
to be):

# this should probably be changed to UTF-8 for international charsets... for
US it can be: ISO-8859-1
grouperClient.default.fileEncoding = UTF-8