grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Cc: Nate Klingenstein <>, Emily Eisbruch <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:39:26 -0600

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Cantor, Scott <> wrote:
On 7/29/14, 8:12 PM, "David Langenberg" <> wrote:

>We (uchicago IAM team) used to host our git repos locally & recently
>moved to BitBucket.  The primary reason for moving away from local
>hosting was pretty much why folks are moving away from on-prem email to
>various cloud solutions.  The providers have solved the problem, solved
>it better than what we were doing, and not hosting it ourselves meant one
>less service / servers / OS / app stack to maintain thus freeing us up to
>do productive development rather than maintenance.

When federated access is a requirement, there are generally no hosted
options, and supporting Jira and Confluence are more ongoing work than
everything else is combined.

Ohh, I believe it.  Though, svn commit access isn't federated in your environment, is it?   I'm merely suggesting you use hosted where it makes sense in the roles it makes sense in.  This project here, for instance, is keeping it's docs and bugs in their current solutions.  The wiki is federated, JIRA -- one day, maybe.  Those truly required to get GitHub accounts are those who actually get commit access to the hosted repo.  Everybody else, well, that's up to them.  We'll still take patches the old-fashioned way or the new way by a pull request.  I will note though, in the last two weeks since moving to GH, community contributions have gone up 200%.  Most of it is small inline typo & doc fixes, but any contribution is a welcome contribution.

Dave

--
David Langenberg
Identity & Access Management