grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Cc: Nate Klingenstein <>, Emily Eisbruch <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 18:12:28 -0600

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Cantor, Scott <> wrote:
On 7/29/14, 7:42 PM, "David Langenberg" <> wrote:

>My understanding is that Shibboleth is it's own beast with it's own
>funding and foundation. Therefore, I agree they'd probably create their
>own org in Github rather than sit under the I2 organization if they ever
>did take the plunge.

GitHub has indemnity language that is incompatible (in my opinion, and
perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, others') with a large open source
project.

I don't know of any reason we'd ever not just host the git repositories
ourselves, we have too many other things we have to run that are much more
work already. Moving to git will probably happen sometime late this year
or early next.

We (uchicago IAM team) used to host our git repos locally & recently moved to BitBucket.  The primary reason for moving away from local hosting was pretty much why folks are moving away from on-prem email to various cloud solutions.  The providers have solved the problem, solved it better than what we were doing, and not hosting it ourselves meant one less service / servers / OS / app stack to maintain thus freeing us up to do productive development rather than maintenance.

Dave
--
David Langenberg
Identity & Access Management