grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Draft Minutes: Grouper Call of July 16, 2014
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:30:59 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

A couple comments from the bleachers.

Note: The Shib project is moving towards Jetty.
We may want to test Jetty as part of the work on Grouper 2.3

The decision was made to look at Jetty a long, long time ago because the whole "enterprise servlet container" thing didn't really take off and we wanted to assess options that seemed more natural, like an embedded servlet container.  Jetty was smaller, faster, and more obtuse, making it an obvious choice.

Then they broke basically everything by going from org.mortbay to org.eclipse.  I don't think you'd get a lot of kind words about any major servlet container out of almost anyone at this point.  Servlet API's, supported Java releases/servlet containers and so forth are still the primary targets.

So, I'd test it and it'd be neat if it worked, but I'd stop short of "moving towards Jetty".

Note: after this call, the transition to GitHub went forward. See

Not saying never, but I think it's very unlikely that the Shibboleth consortium would use Github, and even less likely that it would be Internet2's Github.