grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

  • From: "Cramton, James" <>
  • To: "Kathryn Huxtable" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:20:03 -0400

Since Brown is running its own ldap provisioning software out of MACE
Grouper, I've been trying to keep an eye on the ldappc threads, but not
always succeeding. So my apologies go out to anyone who thinks I haven't
been paying full attention. Because I haven't been ;-)

But I feel I should chime in here to outline how Brown approached
selectively provisioning ldap using our own ldap provisioning software
that is probably not too different from the current implementation of
ldappc. We define a set of stems that we may provision. We can also
identify specific groups that we may provision. These controls are in
config files. However, you may note that I said "may provision." We also
assign Group Types and Attributes in MACE Grouper to exert the final say
over whether or not a group is provisioned. So if stem foo is flagged
in the config file to be provisioned into ldap, the only groups that are
provisioned to LDAP are those in stem foo that have the Group Type
"LDAPVisible" set. Each time the provisioning script runs, we assign an
attribute within the LDAPVisible Group Type called "lastLDAPUpdate" that
looks like a date/time string. This gives us the key ability to allow
an end user to click a checkbox in MG to cause a just-created group to
be provisioned into ldap.

A use case for this would involve a long and complicated group
definition that takes an hour to create, and days to approve. This group
should not show up in LDAP until its definition and membership are
completely set up and reviewed. Once approved, however, an end user can
click the LDAPvisible checkbox in MG, and the repeating batch script
that provisions LDAP will pick it up the next time it runs. Also, the
script (our ldappc equivalent) will not pick up any "helper groups" that
help define a provisioned group--for example, we typically do group math
in MACE Grouper by creating an "All" group, made up of an "Includes"
group <complement> an "Excludes" group. Only the "All" group should go
to LDAP, so only it has the LDAPVisible groupType defined.

We use a similar methodology to indicate groups that are provisioned
from a feed, although these flags are not intended to be used
interactively.

See these url below for screenshots of what this looks like in MG:

https://wiki.brown.edu/confluence/x/QYUwAQ

James Cramton
Lead Programmer/Analyst
Brown University