grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 20 August 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:26:04 -0500

We had some productive discussion on the call today, and I thought I'd quickly summarize it and make a new proposal.

Tom B has previously stated his opposition to adding prefixes to groups in LDAP memberships because it changes the way the group is referenced in LDAP from how it is referenced in Grouper. Tom Z also had objections, but had not yet been able to elaborate them.

People had no objections to a regexp defining the scope of groups that would be managed by an Ldappc instance.

Gary suggested that Chris look into the possibility of adding a prefix to Grouper's configuration so that, if present, a prefix would be prepended to all UUIDs generated in Grouper. Chris thought this would be possible.

Gary also suggested adding a hook to the group selection mechanism to allow users with complex selections to add complex selection arguments. I will investigate this.

Gary also asked if anyone is actually provisioning extensions into LDAP memberships, since they're not guaranteed to be unique. We should probably eliminate this as an option and stick with name and UUID. I will ask about this on the list in a separate email.

There were a few other minor suggestions that don't affect the substance of anyone's argument.

So here's my proposal:

1) Add a scoping regex to the membership provisioning configuration in Ldappc. Any group in the attribute that doesn't match the regex will be ignored. If the regex is not specified then all groups will be processed.

2) Restrict provisioning options in Ldappc memberships to name and UUID.

3) Go ahead and add a prefix argument, but recommend against its use, preferring instead to...

4) Have Grouper add a UUID prefix argument to its configuration and use that to disambiguate UUIDs.

This would, I think, satisfy all use cases, and provide a best practices approach for new installations.

Any arguments? Suggestions?

-K