wg-multicast - Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To: Marc Manthey <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:14:36 -0400

On Apr 1, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Marc Manthey wrote:

Hello Frank , all
thanks for your great efforts in multicast research and testing,

I hope the "thanks for your great efforts...." was referring to "all" and not "Frank"!

I am just trying hard to get our little streams going, promoted, and easier to find. What we are doing is small potatoes in comparison to what others have done, are doing and planning. Currently we only have 10 mbps devoted to I2 multicast activities, thus the rationale of going from MPEG2 to the more efficient H.264 codec: twice as many streams.

Higher bandwidth opens up more doors: HD, DVTS, etc., but the 10 mbps is more than enough for several SD projects, so I am not squawking about not having enough bandwidth. The challenge is how to best use it. Once the "higher ups" see that the uses benefit the college, we will be able to justifiably request more. I think there are other higher ed institutions in the same situation, where every budget item has to be used and justified.

We are doing what we can with our available resources and time, and there are other "little guys" in the same boat. Something about a rising tide lifts all boats....

Cheers, Frank