wg-multicast - Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM

  • From: Dan Oachs <>
  • To: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • Cc: Bob Riddle <>, jose <>, David Devereaux-Weber <>, "Michael C. Wellings" <>, Research Channel Working Group <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Agenda Items for the Research Channel Working Group Meeting at I2SMM
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:25:44 -0500

I know we have discussed the issues surrounding SAP and the difficulty in discovering content a couple of times on this list in the past. I also think it would be a good idea to find more ways to talk about it. If it can fit in the next meeting that would be great. I think Hitoshi Asaeda was also working on a Channel Reflector that could help and has presented on it a couple of times.

Here at Gustavus our solution so far has been to create a website that is as automated as possible. On the first page ( https://gustv.gac.edu/tv.php ) it lists the channels we have found where we can easily get guide data. It was a lot more interesting when we had all of the international channels in the past before they went away. If you are on our campus you can log in and see all of our local channels as well. When we have special events, sports, etc. we list them there on a new channel. On the second tab we list all of the channels that I have been able to find that I can't easily get guide data for. The SAP Channels page automatically updates its self based on what SAP announcements we can see. Finally we also list some of our special events on the Events tab.

If the internet2 DV Guide is no longer being maintained, I could try to add its functionality to our system.

I also recently discovered this site: http://www.namex.it/multicast/index.php?sec=exp&page=channels They have a page similar to our SAP page but took it a step further and added recent screen captures of all the channels they can tune in to.

Thanks,
Dan Oachs