wg-multicast - Re: IPV6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPV6 Multicast

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Tim Stevenson <>,
  • Subject: Re: IPV6 Multicast
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:39:35 +0200

Bill Owens wrote:
[...]
That's right; all the major desktop and server OSes do MLDv1, only Linux does
MLDv2. Windows Vista will have v2 when it is released (whenever that is - I
don't keep track). OSX should get it once FreeBSD has it, but there are IPR
issues that ironically relate to an Apple patent. The last I'd heard, folks
had concluded that the IPR claim would not apply to a host implementation,
only (possibly) for a router, and they were stripping out just the host parts
of the code to include in FreeBSD. But I haven't heard of any progress in a
couple of months. BTW, that's why FreeBSD and OSX don't have IGMPv3 either.

Oh, and Juniper's MLDv2 implementation (router, not snooper) is incompatible
with the way the Linux implementation works. Not usually an issue since few
folks have hosts directly connected to Juniper ports, but it bit us once.

My understanding is that this is purely a Juniper issue. It appears that Juniper has only implemented include mode for MLDv2, hence SSM only.

Stig

Bill.