wg-multicast - RE: IPV6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: IPV6 Multicast

  • From: Pekka Savola <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>,
  • Subject: RE: IPV6 Multicast
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 21:06:30 +0300 (EEST)

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Richard Mavrogeanes wrote:
Well, the next release supports IPV6, and perhaps multicast too.

The trouble/question is local Ethernet switch support ("snooping" behavior), and I'm hoping someone has some war stories to share. It was bad enough getting the switch vendors fully onboard with IGMP, and I wonder where they are with IPV6 multicast. Obviously, IPV6 is not so useful if it can't reach the end user (desktop).

Well, IPv4 IGMP snooping should NOT block IPv6 multicast. If it does, the implementation is buggy.

However, some network administrators might not appreciate flooding the LAN with v6 multicast either, but with gigabit networks, at least that isn't a big issue for us (which is why we haven't been pushing MLD snooping hard in our CFP's).