wg-multicast - RE: IPV6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: IPV6 Multicast

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Joel Jaeggli" <>
  • Cc: "Alan Crosswell" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: IPV6 Multicast
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 15:26:34 -0400

Joel,

Yes, MLDv2 snooping...but this may be too limiting a statement because
vendors can/should implement what works for them to enable end-to-end IPV6
multicast. Some vendors do some proprietary things to enhance multicast
behavior I seem to recall, but the result is consistant with snooping...that
is, you can join a group the switch already has without a trip to the router,
flooding is avoided, and group leaves are pretty quick thus avoiding local
oversubscription.

We have multicast-enabled hundreds of colleage and K-12 networks in the last
few years, as well as district-level networks that interconnect many schools.
To your point, there remains FUD on the part of the local IT manager with
regard to multicast rollout...but we've been able to overcome these
objections and I would say multicast is at last becoming conventional wisdom.
I think this is true because it works when properly deployed and gives the
deploying institution capabilities otherwise virtually impossible.

My concern is that those forward-thinking institutions planning a migration
to IPV6 will encounter the same trouble the industry as a whole has only
recently begun to overcome with IGMPv2 and IGMPv3. I think I'm hearing it's
not possible to deploy IPV6 multicast in any sort of reasonable end-to-end
way...yet. Please keep in mind that my perspective for this thread is
largely inside the enterprise, not so much the WAN.

/rich