wg-multicast - Re: IPV6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPV6 Multicast

  • From: John Lyons <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: IPV6 Multicast
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:47:24 +0100

Hi Lenny,

> It strikes me as odd that lack of snooping could CAUSE mcast to not be
> deployed and used. Lack of snooping is only a problem when there's too
> much mcast (and one could argue that's a good sign for mcast deployment-
> there's too much mcast!).

This strikes me as a very dangerous statement, I can think of very few
situations where flooding multicast is acceptable but many many more
where it is completely unacceptable.

> It's also been my experience that operators (and humans in general) are
> generally not proactive enough to delay the deployment of a compelling
> service bc of the anticipation of a potential problem down the road. It's
> usually some other, more pressing reason.

This is not a "potential problem", Lack of snooping is a complete show
stopper when it comes to rolling out multicast in the vast majority of
networks (particularly outside of NRENs and connected institutions).

John