wg-multicast - RE: IPV6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: IPV6 Multicast

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Leonard Giuliano" <>
  • Cc: "Joel Jaeggli" <>, "Alan Crosswell" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: IPV6 Multicast
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:12:17 -0400

It's very simple, really. When the oddball device connected to an
Ethernet port on some far node of the campus network stops working
because it cannot absorb 20 Mbps of multicast traffic that it receives
because of switch flooding, they turn multicast off....hey, everything
was 'fine' before we turned it on, right? I've seen it happen...circa
1997 print servers. With thousands of ports in a local network, no one
really knows what's connected any more than you know what's connected to
the power grid.

They conclude that multicast causes problems. Same when their config
causes high bandwidth multicast to be forwarded to a T1/E1 WAN port.
Lack of planning, lack of understanding, and all too often lack of
effort gives 'multicast' a bum rap.

I think it is dangerous to suggest flooding is okay. It's okay in a
lab, but not in a production network.

/rich