wg-multicast - Re: IP/Television

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IP/Television

  • From: "Charles R. Anderson" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: IP/Television
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:42:34 -0400

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:54:33AM -0400, Alan Crosswell wrote:
> Along the lines of this inquiry I'd like to restate my request from the
> instructors of the hands-on multicast workshop for feedback on experiences
> with LAN multicast issues so that we can improve the workshop. This is an
> area repeatedly identified by workshop attendees as one that needs more
> attention. What issues are people seeing with IGMP snooping/CGMP, etc?
> What tips/debugging hints, etc. can you offer?

Nortel Networks Passport 8600 switches have an IGMPv3 implementation
that is not backwards compatible to IGMPv2 and IGMPv1, contrary to
RFC3376. If you enable version 3 IGMP, version 1 and 2 reports are
silently dropped. This precludes our use of SSM entirely.

Passport 8600 also has some limitations on sender/receiver placement
and PIM neighbor placement when combining the SMLT feature (802.3ad
aggregation split from one edge switch across two core switches for
entire switch redundancy) with IP Multicast.

I have been working with Nortel to address these issues.