wg-multicast - Re: request for information on LAN multicast issues

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: request for information on LAN multicast issues

  • From: Dave McGaugh <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: request for information on LAN multicast issues
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:00:23 -0700

So we have a recent issue we have uncovered with Foundry Big Irons (running Layer 2 only software) in our lab. Currently it appears that the IGMP snooping capabilities of these devices top out at 1024 multicast groups. This by itself does not immediately seem to be a problem however, the IGMP membership queries themselves generated by the attached router count against this number and identical groups on separate VLANs are summed together. So for example, if a single box has 1024 VLANs provisioned on it, the IGMP membership queries alone with exhaust your IGMP snooping capacity. A case is open with Foundry to find out if there is another way to address this.

-Dave