wg-multicast - Re: multicast behavior on the LAN - HP switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast behavior on the LAN - HP switches

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: Dan Pritts <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast behavior on the LAN - HP switches
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:49:15 -0400

Thanks, Dan. This is very useful stuff. I know vbrick has a "join own multicast" option just to deal with the flooding on the same switch issue.
/a

Dan Pritts wrote:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:54:33AM -0400, Alan Crosswell wrote:

Along the lines of this inquiry I'd like to restate my request from the instructors of the hands-on multicast workshop for feedback on experiences with LAN multicast issues so that we can improve the workshop. This is an

Here is a quick review of our experience with HP switches.

I've used the following models:

408 - desktop 8-port unmanaged switch
4000M - older chassis & code base
4108gl,2650 - newer chassis, seems to be the same code between these two

I have not used any of the HP "routing switches".

I have not tested the IGMPv3 support to any significant extent but it
is there.

general issues
--------------
Not specifically multicast-related but the 4000M does not support ssh
management, only telnet. the newer switches can do SSH. Our 4000M
crashes periodically (every month or two). We push around a fair amount
of DVTS streams & other multicast. This might mean that the switch
doesn't like multicast or it might just have memory leaks or something.
I don't know if they still even sell this switch but if they do i
would not recommend buying it (or the 8000M, a bigger version of the same
architecture) if you plan to use multicast.

the 408 desktop switch has two hardware revisions. The one you can buy
today works great. The older hardware can be identified by a pushbutton
to change the function of the blinkenlights. This switch cannot keep
up with wire rate - a flooding DVTS stream with three or four devices
connected will make it unusable. Don't know if this is multicast specific
or just high data rates in general. Either model is just a dumb unmanaged
switch, no IGMP snooping support.

Nessus scans our security guy did have often caused these switches to
fall over half-dead. They seem to still forward frames OK but advanced
functionality is gone, no IGMP snooping, you cannot ssh to the switch
to manage it, etc. we have solved this by not scanning the switches
but this does mean they are potentially subject to a DoS attack.

In general, I really like the HP switches. The price is nice, they
generally perform quite well, and they come with lifetime free hardware &
software support.
multicast issues ----------------
The 4108gl and 2650 have the option to become IGMP queriers on your LAN.
This should be disabled and may be on by default. I don't think there is
a way to handle this other than via direct access to the switch management
MIB (you can do it from the switch command line, you do not need to use
an SNMP management tool). the procedure is in the user manual.

The only big issue I have had with multicast with these switches is when
you have a local multicast source but no local listener on that group.
The switch defaults to flooding all ports with that group when this
happens. This sucks when it is flooding a 30M dvts stream and you have
10M gear on the same LAN.

The solution is just to fire up a local listener on that group, and
everything is happy. This is a bit tricky. When this originally became
an issue, I thought I'd solve the problem by bringing up a listener on
an old server sitting in my machine room, which happened to be on a different switch.
This did not have the desired effect - the switch with the source
was still flooding.
I had the following config (all one IP subnet):

router ----- core switch ---- upstairs switch --- source

downstairs switch --- "local" listener

Since IGMPv2 messages are sent on the multicast group that they
control, they are subject to pruning by the switch's snooping/pruning
algorithm.
So my "local" listener was sending IGMP messages to the multicast group
in question. This was snooped by the downstairs switch, which caused the
downstairs switch to prune all its other ports from the group in question.

Similarly, the core switch snooped this IGMP and pruned the group from all
its other ports except the uplink to the downstairs switch.

Notably, this included the link to the upstairs switch. So, the IGMP
messages never got to the upstairs switch, so it did not know about
any listeners, so it defaulted to flooding all its ports.

I can think of a few ways to fix this.

1) I don't know for sure but I presume that switching to IGMPv3
would fix it, since IGMPv3 messages are sent on their own dedicated
multicast group. Of course since some of your clients still
may speak IGMPv2 this is not as simple as just turning on v3 on
the router, but i guess it would work as long as the sacrificial
listener were speaking IGMPv3.
2) configure the inter-switch links to flood multicast always.
This will let the IGMPv2 messages make it to all the switches,
which can then snoop them and act accordingly. This has the
downside of potentially overutilizing your backbone links, and
the CPUs on your switches. This is what I did and it has worked
well enough so far.
3) always make sure that your local listener is on the same physical
switch as the source.
4) segregate high-bandwidth sources to a different IP subnet on
a different physical or virtual LAN.

I guess that there is a potential other issue with this - if you're
sourcing on a group but for whatever reason do not want to listen to
other sources from the Internet, you'll have to find another solution (IGMPv3 local listener?).

I'd be interested in knowing folks' experiences with other switch lines.
In particular, do any of them have a knob to tweak to disable "flood
by default" for IP multicast traffic with no declared listeners?
This probably isn't standards-compliant but it might be what we want.

danno
--
dan pritts

systems administrator 734/352-4953 office
internet2 734/834-7224 mobile