wg-multicast - Re: Catalyst RGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Catalyst RGMP?

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Catalyst RGMP?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:20:47 -0500

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 10:27 AM, Alan Crosswell wrote:

There's no need to turn IGMP Snooping off. Theoretically, RGMP on the
switch side is independent of IGMP Snooping, practically speaking,
on the cat6k IGMP Snooping should always be enabled if you also have
L3 routing for IP Multicast.

It's turned off on my dual-star L2 core 6509's that all the routers plug
in to. When it was one, I was getting random disconnectivity caused I
think by it snooping IGMP router advertisements. There are no hosts on
the L2 core 6509's.\

Thanks for starting this thread. I hadn't looked into RGMP prior to your post. I had the same thoughts about IGMP snooping, I had felt that it would be of little use in the core, since everything (I think) is done with PIM. We do have a couple of 100 mbits/sec links on our core, the rest is gigabit, so it would make sense to look into RGMP as we start increasing the utilization of multicast throughout campus.

On a separate note, (which you can respond off-list if you wish) are you considering going to a layer 3 core. I am pretty interested in moving some of our Tier-2 groups, as we call them, off of the l2 core, and routing them. Basically, any router that we do not control. Our CS department, for example, connects their router to our cores, and when we want to make changes to our ospf, for example, we need to coordinate with them, and a couple of other groups.

Does anyone know of any Network Engineering/Architecture mailing lists of a more general nature for I2 schools?

Thanks!

Peter Hill
Network Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University