wg-multicast - Re: Catalyst RGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Catalyst RGMP?

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: Peter John Hill <>,
  • Subject: Re: Catalyst RGMP?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:11:10 -0800

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:17:30AM -0500, Alan Crosswell wrote:
> Thanks Peter.
>
> Yes, we've been running for quite a while with this setup and have IGMP
> snooping turned off.

There's no need to turn IGMP Snooping off. Theoretically, RGMP on the
switch side is independent of IGMP Snooping, practically speaking,
on the cat6k IGMP Snooping should always be enabled if you also have
L3 routing for IP Multicast.

> The question I had was whether RGMP is "the right
> thing" to run on the core L2 switches to avoid flooding multicast traffic
> out all 10 router ports.

Yes.

> What we need is of course PIM snooping, but that
> doesn't exist so, after reading a little about RGMP, I thought it looked
> possibly like the right thing.

Well, if you think you need PIM Snooping then please tell it to your
Cisco account team! Right now, Cisco considers RGMP to be the simpler and
and sufficiently effective solution to your problem. You may also want
to check out the IETF draft-wu-rgmp-03.txt about pro and cons of RGMP
vs. PIM Snooping.

Cheers
Toerless