wg-multicast - Re: Catalyst RGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Catalyst RGMP?

  • From: Tsegreda Beyene <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>,
  • Subject: Re: Catalyst RGMP?
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:34:25 -0500

Hi Alan,

comment inline please:

At 02:26 PM 11/8/2002 -0500, Alan Crosswell wrote:
Anybody have experience with this? Is this what I want to use in lieu
of the ability to do PIM snooping?

No. Cisco does not do PIM snooping.

I have a dual-star L2 topology using
Not that this will not work..I prefer point-to-point as opposed to dual star.

Catalyst 6509 switches which my routers are each connected to. Right
now I have IGMP snooping disabled

You should always enable IGMP snooping on the 6500..If you disable it
you are basically disabling hardware switching.

on these switches since it seemed to
interfere with multicast connectivity and didn't make sense since the
only devices on the switch are routers so the only IGMP to snoop would be
router advertisements.

Maybe I should just not touch anything. It's sort of working today:-)

I will forward your e-mail to appropriate people and they will help you out.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Tsege

/a