wg-multicast - RE: Catalyst RGMP?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Catalyst RGMP?

  • From: Tsegreda Beyene <>
  • To: "Wallace, Steven S" <>, "Alan Crosswell" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Catalyst RGMP?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:57:54 -0500

At 02:00 PM 11/11/2002 -0500, Wallace, Steven S wrote:
I would tend to disagree. If there are only routers connected to the
6509s, I would think that IGMP snooping should be turned off.

Steve, You should always turn on IGMP snooping on a 6500..
if you do not, then you are disabling the ASIC switching...
That is the implementation of the 6500.

Tsege

Turning
IGMP snooping on is going to just exercise the code that's looking for
IGMP host reports (non of which will be coming from the routers). I
understood RGMP to be Cisco proprietary solution to the problem you
describe, although I've never tried it. Having IGMP and RGMP turned off
should work just fine, although you will be flooding some of the
multicast traffic down links with no downstream listeners (which may be
just fine if that doesn't cause congestion).

Steven Wallace