wg-multicast - Re: IPv6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv6 Multicast

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: IPv6 Multicast
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:32:10 -0500

I would like to thank Kevin and Marshall for bring us back on topic

On 7 Aug 2002 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> An on topic post !
>
> Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:
>

> > Well, I've been very careful not to exclude work on IPv6 ASM...
> > just to say that SSM is a lower hanging fruit and it will be the
> > first place we start.

I agree that SSM is the place to start for IPv6 multicast on I2 and
more specifically on the Abilene backbone.

> > As for the value of ASM, it certainly has a niche. The point though
> > is to separate ASM from MSDP and come up with some additional
> > options. 'Cause right now, ASM using MSDP stinks. So maybe that
> > second option moves the source discovery functionality out of the
> > network.

I think we can quickly get SSM for IPv6 working with help from
vendors. Which correct me if I am wrong, this requires PIM-SM for
IPv6 and Multicast IPv6 NLRI for BGP. And just as important, what
are the host protocols needed IGMP?? And what host OSes
support IPv6 multicast, what work is needed there?

Once that is done we can tackle the question of MSDP for IPv6, a
replacement for MSDP for IPv6, or what I believe is needed from the
SSM folks a draft explaining how any situation in ASM can be
emulated with a registration via unicast to a well known registry
host(s) per application for the admitted limited set of applications
that need ASM. Maybe this exists, but then you should be pointing
us to it. But the MSDP debate can not be allowed to slow down
IPv6 multicast on Abilene and since most of the obvious short term
applications can be met with SSM let's to that first.

I also think we should look at rethinking multicast as a whole like Bill
Nickless is talking about, but I'm not sure IPv6 Multicast on Abilene
should wait for that.

> What, exactly, is the plan to make IPv6 multicast multidomain ? Will
> BGMP come back from the dead ? Or will MSDP-NG rear its head?
>
> If nothing is done, then someone will port MSDP to IPv6, and it will
> be deja vu all over again.

I agree, but I put the responsibility for this on the SSM faithful, they
need to convince the ASM faithful and the rest of us on the fence
that we can live with out MSDP or a replacement router based
source discovery protocol. Otherwise MSDP or a replacement will
be created for IPv6.

> Unless some vendor is going to jump on BGMP in a big way, I would urge
> that work begin immediately to make MSDP into something that will last.
>
> Just my $ 0.02 worth.
>
> Marshall
>

> > -Kevin

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035