wg-multicast - Re: IPv6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv6 Multicast

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: David Meyer <>
  • Cc: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>,
  • Subject: Re: IPv6 Multicast
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:27:04 -0400

Dave;

David Meyer wrote:

What, exactly, is the plan to make IPv6 multicast multidomain ? Will BGMP come back from the dead ? Or will MSDP-NG rear its head ?

No.

If nothing is done, then someone will port MSDP to IPv6, and it will be
deja vu all over again.

I guess if a vendor thinks they can sell it...

Unless some vendor is going to jump on BGMP in a big way, I would urge that work begin immediately to make MSDP into something that will last.

I would have to say that IMO neither is the solution.

Any suggestions, then ?

We have as options :

- MSDP - not the protocol one would want, but it could be ported almost trivially.

- BMGP - unless I got unsubcribed from this wg list, there has been no
public activity for months here. Everytime I ask anyone who should know,
it is declared DOA

- something else ? I would urge this, and I would urge it be built from the ashes of MSDP, as this has operational experience.

- nothing - ASM dies in the general IPv6 Internet, and SSM is used to make "ASM like" protocols. This might work, as most (not all) ASM applications are small group many to many with known (or knowable) sources, and so could be emulated by SSM (I am thinking of teleconferencing apps like the AccessGrid.)

Dave

Marshall

--
Regards