wg-multicast - Re: IPv6 Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv6 Multicast

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: IPv6 Multicast
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:14:05 -0400

An on topic post !

Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:

Well, I've been very careful not to exclude work on IPv6 ASM... just
to say that SSM is a lower hanging fruit and it will be the first place
we start.

As for the value of ASM, it certainly has a niche. The point though
is to separate ASM from MSDP and come up with some additional options.
'Cause right now, ASM using MSDP stinks. So maybe that second option
moves the source discovery functionality out of the network.

What, exactly, is the plan to make IPv6 multicast multidomain ? Will BGMP come back from the dead ? Or will MSDP-NG rear its head ?

If nothing is done, then someone will port MSDP to IPv6, and it will be
deja vu all over again.

Unless some vendor is going to jump on BGMP in a big way, I would urge that work begin immediately to make MSDP into something that will last.

Just my $ 0.02 worth.

Marshall

-Kevin