wg-multicast - RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle

  • From: "Jill Gemmill" <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:38:27 -0500

> This kind of problem is tough to cover at this kind of member meeting.
> It is more designed for a Techs Workshop. Who from your campus has been
> attending these? In fact, there have already been a number of events
> which focus on exactly the questions you are asking.

Let's have a look at Shirl Grant's presentation from the June vBNS techs
meeting - it is 99% on the subject of how to configure the router at the
campus
entrance.
End-users live a distance away from there.

The way multicast (or any other service for that matter)
> typically gets deployed is if someone on the campus makes the effort
> to learn how to get it running. Granted, the amount of available
> information is somewhat sparse, but that problem is improving. Right
> now, it takes just a little bit of extra effort. And a fair number of
> campuses and gigapops have demonstrated it is possible (see I2 multicast
> WWW page for maps with lists of connected sites).

My university is multicast enabled - we get our feed, which is currently PIM
Dense Mode, through SoX in Atlanta. There are at least 6 desktops here that
can
receive multicast traffic. What we're doing is "standards based", as long as
all the switches are from a single vendor. Problem solved? Deliverable to
any
desktop? I guess you could say this is an example of a successful deployment.
I spent too much time as an end-user, I guess; if I don't have the potential
deliver it anywhere, is it really a service?

> Multicast: A discussion of how the support of high-speed
> native multicast by Internet2/NGI backbones is requiring upgrades to
> campus/GigaPoP networks as well as work on multicast-capable applications.

Right now, campuses are investing in equipment upgrades - what we're buying
will
be in the field for at least the next 3 years. I think that fact
significantly
impacts multicast as a deliverable service over the same time period.