wg-multicast - RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle

  • From: "Jill Gemmill" <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Multicast-related meetings in Seattle
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:01:33 -0500

Kevin -
There seems to be something missing between "backbone engineers" and
"neophytes".

What good does it do to deliver multicast to a campus when the campus
network
is not engineered to handle delivery of that traffic? Is anyone doing
something
that is working? What approaches to this problem exist? What are the local
engineering/technical issues?

I am a member of ViDe; some of my fellow committee members are
convinced that
practical delivery of multicast will NEVER work. I don't happen to agree with
them, but I don't see anything proposed here that would make them want to
reconsider.