wg-multicast - RE: Las Cruces Summary

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Las Cruces Summary

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Las Cruces Summary
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:43:44 -0800 (PST)

>> IGMP-snooping may be a key for those of us with tree topologies
>>that have layer 3 switches and routers at the core and
>>multi-vendor, switched layer 2 underneath. If you do get vendor
>>deployment information, that would be helpful.

Most switch vendors support IGMP-snooping... at this point, you
need to ask if you buy new equipment, and basically, don't buy
anything that doesn't support it.

>> If would also be *very* helpful to have reason to believe that
>>these new standards based features actually interoperate across
>>vendors. Any chance of I2 holding a bakeoff? VIDe interested?

Done... well, sort of. Greg Shepherd at University of Oregon and
I have already contacted some vendors about putting together some
tests and eventually a bakeoff. So far, I've contacted reps
from 3Com, Nortel, Cisco, and IBM about this... I've only contacted
these four because those were the people I ran into into in
Las Cruces. I will be contacting others. Greg and I will put
together a white paper describing what we want to do.

-Kevin