wg-multicast - RE: Las Cruces Summary

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Las Cruces Summary

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To: ,
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Las Cruces Summary
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:23:58 -0500

> The only protocol I can think of this is Cisco proprietary is CGMP which
> is an IGMP-snooping protocol.
>
> Other vendors are behind Cisco in deploying some of the necessary
> multicast protocols but are catching up quickly. I've solicited
> information about deployment dates from many of the vendors and I
> will make that document available when it is complete.

IGMP-snooping may be a key for those of us with tree topologies
that have layer 3 switches and routers at the core and
multi-vendor, switched layer 2 underneath. If you do get vendor
deployment information, that would be helpful.

If would also be *very* helpful to have reason to believe that
these new standards based features actually interoperate across
vendors. Any chance of I2 holding a bakeoff? VIDe interested?

- Jeremy