wg-multicast - RE: Las Cruces Summary

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Las Cruces Summary

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Las Cruces Summary
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:13:32 -0800 (PST)

>> > 3. You should mention that many of the hardware components needed
>> > are already available.
>>
>>Yes -- but "which ones" is the interesting topic. In responses I got to my
>>"informal survey" of SURA and I2 institutions, most of those who answered
>>assured me that CISCO proprietary was the only way to successfully deliver
>>multicast traffic.

Just a clarification... all of the multicast protocols that are being
advocated are open standards (or standards-track) published by the IETF.

The only protocol I can think of this is Cisco proprietary is CGMP which
is an IGMP-snooping protocol.

Other vendors are behind Cisco in deploying some of the necessary
multicast protocols but are catching up quickly. I've solicited
information about deployment dates from many of the vendors and I
will make that document available when it is complete.

-Kevin